- Semiotics and textual analysis: study of signs and symbols and their use or interpretation – applied to community drawings and my photos of role plays from past work. Looking at relationship between representational and symbolic drawings and the textual documentation of the relevant diagrams. To identify which signs/concepts are common across different social categories (women/men, age, ethnicity) and context and where the main areas for misunderstanding or misinterpretation may lie.
- Use of humor versus shock??
Coding and decoding meaning
Visual storytelling requires an understanding of communication theory:
- how images are coded with meaning/s – and how these are affected by the particular skills and views of the illustrator.
- how viewers might then decode these images – how those meanings are read.
- ‘noise’ affecting the relationship between the two – whether it should be eliminated or accommodated. The type of ‘noise’ will vary depending on who is looking at the work, where they are, and their cultural standpoint.